"Hardhitting and also funny" - says regular viewer and best friend

Follow me on Twitter! @catholicgirly


Friday, April 23, 2010

Put Yourself in the Mysteries

I just had a cool experience whilst praying the rosary.

I was praying the sorrowful mysteries, and when I got to the second mystery of the scourging, my mind drifted, as it usually does. Then out of nowhere came the question:

When have you scourged Christ?

My head whipped back, and I whispered out loud, "Whoooooa!"
I love those moments in prayer. This is God snapping His fingers, telling you to focus.

The sorrowful mysteries are probably my favourite to pray on. Any time I experience any type of prayful emotion, it is almost always when praying on those mysteries. I have felt intense and overwhelming sadness during those mysteries, usually God's sadness for the state of whomever or whatever I am praying for; and I have felt joy as well, which I interpret as God giving me hope in the midst of despair, for whomever or whatever I am praying for.

But of all the times I have prayed on the sorrowful mysteries, never have I placed myself in them as the one doing these horrible things to my Lord!
Obviously I have reflected on the image of putting a nail in Christ's hands every time we sin, etc., but usually when I pray on these mysteries, I think of the excruciating pain Christ went through for me. I have never put myself into the mystery as the one doing those things to Him.

That question really hit me: When have you scourged Christ?
If God lives in everyone, and the face of every person you encounter is the face of God, then everytime I am unloving toward another person, I am scourging Christ.

This isn't news. It isn't rocketscience, and it most certainly is not ground-breaking theology. We hear this message virtually every Sunday, and it has been stated for roughly 2000 years. Yet, we never really "get it" until we have these small epiphanies of our own, epiphanies of the same messages we constantly hear, but heard in the language of our own heart and soul.
It's strange when you experience this in prayer, because you write it out in english, and you "hear" it in english, yet the language itself is not felt in english. It is a language of your own. The whispers of your soul. The whispers of the Holy Spirit dwelling within you, being spoken to YOU. This is what is being felt, and your brain immediately interprets this divine, interior feeling into tangible words.

Put yourself into the mysteries, and experience a new reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment